The nuts and bolts
- Heavy 16 kg belt drive turntable
- Mass loaded magnetic floating subchassis
- Precision balanced sandwich platter
- Inverted ceramic ball bearing with magnetic support
- Heavy weight record clamp
- MDF chassis filled with metal granulate with low levels of resonance and high mass
- Electronic speed control between 33 and 45 RPM
- 9cc Evolution tonearm made from carbon fibre
- Inverted tonearm bearings (ABEC 7 quality)
The chassis and feet
The Pro-Ject Xtension 9 chassis is made from high density MDF filled with metal granulate for high mass that virtually nulls resonance.
Magnetic feet, which decouple the main plinth from its base, are combined with a weighty 16kg total turntable mass. The result is a unique combination of 'mass loaded' and 'floating turntable' design principles.
Instead of pure metal for the main platter, we've found a perfect alloy which we've damped with thermo plastic elastomers (TPE) on its underside.
Additionally we've glued recycled Vinyl records to the top (which act as a perfect mat) and baked this 'sandwich' before precision balancing it.
The final product subsequently benefits from a wonderfully resonance-free, heavy platter, that runs ultra-silently on an inverted ceramic ball bearing with magnetic suspension.